Digital World of Photography - Lessons, shows, meet ups, classes
Location: Snyder Estate Natural Cement Historic District, Rosendale, Ulster county
Historic BuildingsHistoric Buildings or other significant historic value

The Snyder Estate Natural Cement Historic District is located in the Town of Rosendale, New York, United States. It is a 275-acre (111 ha) tract roughly bounded by Rondout Creek, Binnewater and Cottekill roads and Sawdust Avenue. NY 213 runs through the lower portion of the district, paralleling the dry bed of the Delaware and Hudson Canal, where the product that gives the district its name was first discovered.

Within the district's bounds are 122 contributing properties representing what remains of five plants that turned out Rosendale cement, and the homes and dependencies of the Snyder family, who originally owned the land. They range in age from the bed of the canal, where the cement was first discovered in 1825 during construction, to some of the last factories built before production was ended in 1970. Included are not just homes, barns and factories but mines, reservoirs and a rail siding. After an aborted attempt to secure National Historic Landmark District status in 1978, the district was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.

No trips scheduled at this time



Google map | Website | Back to location list | Back to Ulster county map



Log in to Post